Sunday, September 6, 2020

Baby Quilt

The Pattern and Tips for Making a Quilt for Your Baby

For as long as I can remember, my grandmother has always made quilts, or blankets for people in our family, or she has helped family members make them for someone else. She helped my step mom make one for my sister using pre-made squares that she had in a pattern book. My sister still uses that blanket and she is now ten years old. When I first found out I was pregnant, I knew I wanted to make a quilt for my baby, but I did not have the money, nor did I know what I was doing. 

My grandmother showed me that Joann Fabrics actually offers several coupons and discounts through their app, we used those and ended up only spending about $80 on all of the materials needed for the quilt. My grandmother also had this pattern for me to use as well, which I love, I will share it with you all below.

When it comes to choosing fabric for your quilt, this particular quilt pattern calls for 4 different colors, a border, and the back fabric for the blanket. For one of my colors, I used the same material for the border as well, to kind of tie it all together. 
Make sure you choose materials that your baby would enjoy. For example, I used a purple silk fabric for the border and one of my colored square options as well. I am using a soft grey Minkee material for the back. The other three colors vary in texture as well. 
The pattern specifically asks that you use all Minkee fabrics, but you do not have to. I certainly did not use all Minkee fabrics.

Fabric Requirements:
* 1/4 yard each of 4 different colors (9" X 60")
* 1/2 yard Minkee for the outside border
* 1 1/2 yards flannel (you do not have to use flannel, I didn't. But if you do, pre-wash it!)
* Binding - 1 package of Satin Quilt Binding 

Cutting Instructions:
*From EACH color of Minkee
        -Cut (2) 4" X 30" strips 
                >Cut (16) 4" squares 
*From the border Minkee (1/2 yard)
        -Cut (4) 4 1/2" X 60" strips 
                >Cut (2) 4 1/2" X 28"
                >Cut (2) 4 1/2" X 45" 

Assembly Instructions:
1. To mark pre-washed flannel, use a washout marker and draw a line lengthwise on the WRONG SIDE, 6" from the selvage (Figure 1 in the picture)
2. Mark again this time horizontally across the cut edge of the fabric - squaring up the mark - 6" from the cut edge (figure 2)
3. You will now be using a Temporary Spray adhesive (they recommend 505 Temporary Adhesive I did not do this because I did not use FLANNEL) to secure the 4" squares temporarily to the flannel. Spray about a 10" strip across the flannel to the right and below the drawn lines. Place 7 assorted pre-cut squares along the drawn lines. You will butt the edges very close together - and DO NOT OVERLAP  the edges. 
            Row 1 (their example): Purple, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Yellow, Blue. Purple
4. Place 7 more pre-cut squares as shown in Figure 4. Butt all edges close and do not overlap.
            Row 2 (their example): Blue, Yellow, Pink, Purple, Pink, Yellow, Blue
5. Continue using the colors as listed below to complete the "Trip Around The World" quilt. You will continue spraying the fabric as needed with the adhesive and work your way through the remaining rows. Figure 5.

            Row 3: Yellow, Pink, Purple, Blue, Purple, Pink, Yellow
            Row 4: Pink, Purple, Blue, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Pink
            Row 5: Purple, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Yellow, Blue, Purple
            Row 6: Pink, Purple, Blue, Yellow, Blue, Purple, Pink
            Row 7: Yellow, Pink, Purple, Blue, Purple, Pink, Yellow
            Row 8: Blue, Yellow, Pink, Purple, Pink, Yellow, Blue
            Row 9: Purple, Blue, Yellow, Pink, Yellow, Blue, Purple

Finish the instructions using the images! 
5.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Shower Puzzle Piece Messages

 Foam Puzzle Pieces For Guests to Write a Message to the Baby, or to Simply Sign Their Name!  Just simply buy a cheap pack of these little f...