Sunday, September 6, 2020

Postpartum Depression and Other Mental Illness in Mothers

Dealing With Mental Illness as a Mother 

    If you're reading this particular post, I'm sure it is because you, or someone you know has a mental illness and is also a mother. Dealing with both at the same time can be extremely frustrating and I am here to tell you, you are not alone! I can provide some tips and phone numbers for support, but it is truly up to you to actually work on coping with your mental illness in a way that fits your child's lifestyle and needs first. 
    Personally, I have severe depression and anxiety; bipolar runs in my family but I have not been formally diagnosed with the illness, and I have PTSD, all untreated since I turned 18 back in 2017. When I first got pregnant, back in March of 2019, I was overwhelmed, but I also felt confident. It was not until the end of my pregnancy that my mental illness began to affect me a little more. It was difficult to leave the house, except for work. I worked 4 to 5 days a week up until I gave birth, and working that often helped to keep my mind off of my mental illness. However, I know that there are moms out there who are not able to work as often as I was, so it can be even harder on them. It can also be harder for some women to just "focus on something else" so it is important to ensure that you know you are not alone, you have resources. 

    It is important to keep active (as much as allowed) and to keep in contact with friends and family. Keeping a social life going can be difficult when preparing for a new baby, but it is very important. Family has been our biggest savior as we have been raising our daughter through this pandemic, and struggling from paycheck to paycheck while I was searching for a dependable job. They also buy me food, which is a major bonus when you're a new mom!

Friends. Something that can be very rare for moms to have. But friends are very important! Try to get out and spend time with them, if you can. Don't allow yourself to just remain curled up at home binge watching Netflix and eating snacks while you're pregnant. Don't allow yourself to keep you and your baby away from sunlight! Get up, go to lunch, go to a movie theater, just get some human interaction. It can really make a difference! 


-Some other things that can help you-
    *Sunlight: Helps to radiate positive vibes.
    *Exercise
    *Personal Time: Have someone watch the baby for a few hours so you can take time to yourself!
    *Sleep: Have someone watch the baby so that you can catch a couple of extra hours of sleep!
    *Hobbies: Try to revisit some of your old hobbies, see if something helps you feel more positive.
    *CBD products: CBD has been known to be a safe remedy for any mental illness.
    *Aromatherapy
    *Acupuncture/Massage
   
   
 If you are struggling with mental illness and you need someone to talk to, feel free to reach out to me. I may not respond right away, but I will do my best to respond as soon as possible. I would much rather listen to your story than to hear another tragic story about a mother losing her life to post-partum depression or any other mental illness. Your child needs you! You are the light of their heart, and the very best part of you is in them, so it is extremely important to make them feel happy and loved, and to show them that YOU are happy. 

Below are some numbers or websites you can call/visit if you are struggling with postpartum depression or other illnesses. Remember, you are not alone! Many mothers experience postpartum depression, or struggle with other mental illnesses, and there is help out there for you!

*https://www.postpartumdepression.org/support

*https://www.betterhelp.com/start/

*"National Postpartum Support International (PSI) Phone number (helpline): (800) 944-4773 (Spanish and English) Leave a toll-free and confidential message any time, and one of the helpline volunteers will return your call as soon as possible providing basic information, resources, and support."

*1-800-662-HELP - Depression hotline

*my email: javamomma.trinitymitts@yahoo.com








No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Shower Puzzle Piece Messages

 Foam Puzzle Pieces For Guests to Write a Message to the Baby, or to Simply Sign Their Name!  Just simply buy a cheap pack of these little f...